Shelby County - A place to call home. Eleven cities ... one community.
"The Biggest Little Town in the USA"
PORTSMOUTH originally owned by William Williams, who built a log cabin here in the 1860s. Originally known as "Cologone Settlement" and in 1886 it moved into Portsmouth and was platted on August 17, 1882, by the Milwaukee Land Company. The village was incorporated in 1883, with A. W. Sims as the first mayor. A post office was established in 1882 with George Walters as first postmaster.
Utility & Telecommunications
Water: Shelby County Rural Water
Gas: MidAmerican Energy Company
Electricity: MidAmerican Energy Company
Internet: Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company, Windstream
Cellular: Cellular One, Farmers Mutual Cooperative Telephone Company, and Verizon
Rail: Burlington Northern/Santa Fe Rail Service
Recycing: Contact your local hauling service. List of what is eligible for recycle.
Mayor & City Council
City Zoning? Yes
Shelby County Sheriff’s Department
Harrison County Sheriff’s Department
Harlan Community Schools (PreK-12)
Shelby County Catholic Schools (PreK-8)
Shelby County schools are among the State’s leaders in combining a top-quality academic education, with a wide variety of successful extracurricular activities
Portsmouth is home to a variety of businesses. The largest is Leinen, Inc. a fertilizer and farm chemical company. Others include Shelby County State Bank branch office, G & R Feed & Grain, and Club 191 – a well-known restaurant and supper club.
Community & Tourists Attractions
St. Mary’s Catholic Church – on the tour of the German Villages.
St. Mary’s Parish Picnic
Held annually in June to celebrate the Church and Community.